Friday, November 27, 2020

Lightroom Classic vs. Lightroom (what a tangled web Adobe weaves...)

I'm teaching myself how to use lightroom (YouTube is a wonderful thing), and I've decided the best way for me to learn it (and remember!) is to keep a type of journal, a blog, of what I'm learning, so here I go. I'm figuring by writing it down, that will help me remember it more because I suffer from CRS (Can't Remember...Stuff).

 First and foremost is the difference between Lightroom Classic and Lightroom, and this is something that I think Adobe has really screwed up, and they realize they have screwed it up with the iterations on the names since they first announced the "light" version in 2017. 

Basically...

      Lightroom Classic (LrC) = Desktop 





  Lightroom (Lr) = Mobile



Why don't they call it Lightroom Mobile since it is designed for iPads and phones? Watch, next year this time, that will be the case.

This undoubtedly was the most confusing part of when I started using Lightroom a few years ago, and then when they went through the iterations on the name, it didn't help any.

And what's interesting, is that it seemed like they were initially trying to pitch them as two products to work together, but now they are very clearly saying this is not the case...pick one and stick with it, don't try and use them synonymously. Interesting...

I'm a Lightroom Classic guy. I do have both, but definitely use LrC 99.99% of the time. I have my photos on my laptop, not in the cloud, I like the robustness of the editing tools in Classic, it just works for me. Editing photos on a mobile device? Nope...

Here's an Adobe Masterclass on the topic.




No comments:

Post a Comment